I am Kirstin, and this is my photo blog. I love to take pictures and share them with everyone around me. Sharing the beauty of the earth is one way I can share the love of Christ with others. I hope you enjoy your visit!

Monday, August 24, 2009

My experience with surgery

Hey everyone! I'm back from my surgery! It went pretty well. I got there with five minutes to spare, and waited around ten minutes until a nurse (at least I think she is...) called me and led me to a room with a nice comfy chair I laid on. I had a blood pressure cuff put on my arm, a very large bib over my body, and a gas mask piece put over my mouth to help me breath in the laughing gas. After a minute, the doctor asked if I felt alright, and that second I started to feel light and strange. The computer screen across the room popped out at me, and it was weird. She told me she would put a rubber band around my arm, clean my arm off (in one spot, of course), and pinch my skin, which I said "ouch" loudly to, and the next minute they said the i.v. tube was in my arm, which made my eyes pop open and made the nurse laugh. =) Then they had me breath deeply a couple times, and the next thing I know, I feel like I am trying to sleep in the car and people around me are laughing and talking, keeping me from dreamland, but I didn't care. Then they tell me to wake up, take the bib (why am I calling it that? haha) and several other things off, and lead me to a small recovery room where I was helped onto a strange long chair/bed thing. It was weird. It was higher than a couch, flat, and too long for me to bed my legs. They had me stare at a box that said how much oxygen I was getting and how fast my heart was beating on it, and someone would come in every minute or two and wipe off the tears that were coming down my face for some odd reason. I didn't feel scared or sad or anything, but they said I was crying because I was relieved. Anyways, after another minute or two, they asked if I was good enough to go home, and I said yes (I was), so a lady took the i.v. tube out of my arm and led me to my mom who had been waiting for a little more than a hour. When we got home, I had to take the gauze rolls out of my mouth and eat something (pancakes was what I chose) with two pain pills. It was WEIRD because my entire front lip area (bottom lip, chin, etc.) was completely numb and big. lol I had to grab it and look in the mirror in order to tell what was my tongue and what wasn't, and it took a while to learn how to swallow again. For the past three hours I have been holding an ice pack up to my face to prevent swelling and heating in those areas. I feel great now. I know, I have gauze rolls and paper towels in my mouth, and I can feel a very very very slight pain in the back of my mouth (which basically feels like my wisdom teeth-when they were still in there-moving a little, which isn't bad.), but I feel practically normal. Thanks for praying for the surgery! It went great, and I am confident that my recovery will be very short. =) Praying is definitely welcome for the recovering part. Thanks for everything! 8D
Kirstin

12 comments:

Aimee August 24, 2009 at 3:21 PM  

Hey, Kirsten! I bet you're glad to have that over with! I will keep praying for your recovery. Yeah, I remember that numb feeling, it took a few hours to wear off of me. Oh and guess what!? I found out today that my stitches didn't actually have to be taken out, they were the dissolvable kind. ;)

The Ordinary August 24, 2009 at 3:40 PM  

Wow. yea that numbing stuff really gets you. Bit off half my tongue once....well, almost half.

Anonymous August 24, 2009 at 3:53 PM  

The chipmunk cheeks feel really strange for a while.
The only thing I would eat was chocolate pudding and gatorade. Healthy times.

Anonymous August 24, 2009 at 3:58 PM  

Two words: TAKE PICTURES! :D

Kirstin Rose August 24, 2009 at 4:13 PM  

haha no. jk Mom got four or five pictures when my mouth was numb, and since I am using ice packs (freezes my hands, but oh well!), it should swell up so much.
That's cool, Aimee! I am happy for you. How did you swallow and not tear them out? I keep getting blood when I swallow, and have to have a paper towel in to keep from doing it.
haha My doctor wants me eating healthy things so I will have the energy to heal, so I am gonna try not to eat all the chocolate mom got me. 8D XD

Allie August 24, 2009 at 4:19 PM  

Ooo! I like totally forgot u had surgery! do u look more like Keira Knightley with a puffy mouth? hahaa :)
<3 ya

Jessica August 24, 2009 at 4:58 PM  

Oh, I'm glad it went well! Yeah, that numb feeling is sooo weird! I'll be praying for your recovery =D

Aimee August 24, 2009 at 6:55 PM  

I didn't have trouble with that, they weren't sticking out too much. Did you have stitches? I ate lots of mashed potatoes, bananas, and fruit smoothies.

Sophie August 25, 2009 at 12:02 PM  

Yay Kirsten!
Did you try to watch the doctors? Haha, I watched them last summer, and they were sticking about 3 different things in my mouth! I was listening to my music SO loud that they had to hit my arm when I needed to open my mouth wider. Haha, did they drill you at all? THe drill was really loud, and I remember that every now and then I would feel a pinch in my mouth. Maybe it was them cutting the skin, or pulling the tooth out, but it happened 4 times.

Kirstin Rose August 25, 2009 at 1:27 PM  

No, the laughing gas practically knocked me out. lol I remember them making me take some deep breaths (probably to make sure the gas was working effectively), and then them leading me to the recovery room. I'm sorry you felt and heard things!

Elizabeth Kelley August 25, 2009 at 5:19 PM  

They had me under when I got mine out.
Yeah, dissolvable stitches are great, because they don't have to pull them out. On the other hand, they dissolve and you get part of them in your mouth.... not exactly pleasant.

Anonymous August 25, 2009 at 5:21 PM  

Kinda feels like meat stuck in between your teeth.

Search This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP