I am Kirstin, and this is my photo blog. I love to take pictures and share them with everyone around me. Sharing the beauty of the earth is one way I can share the love of Christ with others. I hope you enjoy your visit!

Monday, April 25, 2011

18th birthday weekend {Personal}

Hello, everyone! My family spent this past weekend, my 18th birthday, on Chincoteague and Assateague island, the places where my favorite childhood book were based off of.
Photobucket
Chincoteague and Assateague are small islands off the coast of Maryland and Virginia, and Assateague is a wildlife refuge for many creatures, including their famous wild ponies.
In Misty of Chincoteague, the first book, the talented author made the salt-covered grass on the dune beaches seem tasty enough to eat. not kidding. :)
Photobucket
The first day we were there, it was cloudy and dark and cold, unfortunately, but we were able to make the most of everything.
Photobucket
this is the famous statue of Misty from the stories.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket
Later in the day we went biking on Assateague and went down to the beach, where the sun finally decided to show.
Photobucket
And while biking back, you wouldn't believe what happened. A group of wild ponies showed up, and people were able to walk amongst them! It was almost magical, if that is possible. :)
Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket
And I got to fulfull a dream since I was a preteen. I pet a wild pony on Assateague island. And it was my birthday. :)
Photobucket

Honestly, the ponies live in some of the most beautiful places. It was breathtaking!
Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket
Easter morning we went to the beach for a couple hours, which I had been looking forward to for a looooong time. So long. And it was so stunning, and we had such a blast. Easter cannot get better than hanging out there. :)
Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket
(sorry about the corny face-I'm still trying to get him to smile in pics :))
Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket
On our way back to load up and return home, we went around a wildlife-viewing loop. It was like an American version of an African safari. Biking down a lane and looking to your right or left at huge lakes, with birds of every type walking around in the water...
Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket
and of course I had to finish the trip with a scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream from their Island Creamery (which, btw, is better than Mr. Whippies, if you ever go there!). It was the best I have ever had. :)
Photobucket
That little vacation to the islands was one of the best I have had in a long time. I absolutely loved it! The people were so kind, there were a million birds there, and the experiences that you can have on Assateague are numberless. Best way to spend my 18th birthday. :)

2 comments:

Sara April 25, 2011 at 1:00 PM  

These are absolutely lovely. Especially the first, looove it! I've always wanted to visit there. I love how your photos are so bright & happy with a touch of vintage!

Kirstin Rose April 26, 2011 at 5:53 PM  

Thanks! :)

Search This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP